25 April 2007

DonorsChoose

A few weeks ago I received a gift certificate from Crate & Barrel for $25 to be used however I wished at DonorsChoose.org. DonorsChoose is an organization designed to help provide resources for students who often do not receive the funding they need from public schools for special projects, field trips, etc. Teachers are able to submit ideas for materials or experiences their students need to learn, and then individual donors can choose which projects they would like to help fund. As a donor, you can browse the proposals based on region, the type of subject (such as science or art), the type of resource (such as technology or books), the type of school or even by the level of poverty. After you help to fund a specific project, you can log back into the site to check the status of the proposal to which you've donated. In addition, if you help to complete a project, you will receive student photos and thank-you notes showing how you impacted the classroom.

Two things: first, I think this is a creative and innovative way to help teachers and students achieve quality education. I have many family members and friends who are teachers or involved in the school system. They are dedicated to their students and I know they are always struggling to attain the funding they need. Second, kudos to Crate & Barrel for their benevolence. The gift certificate allowed me to give to a worthy cause and for them to foot the bill. I have been impressed with C&B's customer service and this only reinforces my positive image of the company.

One great thing about my job at Covenant Trust Company is that I am always learning about new ways to give. There are so many avenues for charitable giving. And with the Internet, these avenues are constantly changing, expanding, and becoming more creative and innovative. DonorsChoose is a great example of that.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

This is cool. I like it. Very practical and helpful in the sense that you can see real progress and meet (THE) expressed needs. Thanks for sharing, you financial guru. :) You should be an EPO. Seriously you should be.