07 September 2007

Mandolin I | Class 1

This week I started taking mandolin lessons at the Old Town School of Folk Music. I can't say exactly what inspired me to take on such a challenge other than I think the Old Town School is cool and I thought the mandolin might be cool. (And I want to be a rock star.) The Old Town School is a reputable, well known music establishment in the city. They offer a wide variety of classes (from instruments to voice to dance) and concerts, and they house the Different Strummer music store. And since it is within walking distance of my apartment, I thought I'd be remiss to not take advantage of this great resource in some capacity.

My class meets once a week for 8 weeks and there are only 2 other students
besides me. So, for the price of a group lesson, I'm almost getting private training (let this not be a factor in any expectation you may have of my performance). Class 1 found us fumbling through some basic chords, followed by a timid execution of "Norwegian Wood" by the Beatles. Hey, at least we weren't attempting some folkish rendition of a nursery rhyme. Needless to say, I have plenty to work on for next Wednesday.

What are my goals, you ask? Aspirations? Well, in addition to launching a career as a traveling minstrel, I will faithfully attempt to debunk the stereotype that to be a mandolin player, you must look like this:


Hopefully, I have this one under my belt.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

You are so funny! And very talented I am sure. As someone who has stood beside you through your quest for a hobby, I can say I think you may have stumbled onto something very promising. Your mandolin is PRETTY!!! Can't wait for a concert. You can play and Andrew can dance with pointed toes. VERY easy to imagine.

Sarah Daigle said...

Eric goes to the Old Town too...but for different reasons. We await the first recital.

The Process said...

Oh my goodness, you do not look like that man. The shorts alone put you in a totally different category, hillarious. We're anxiously awaiting a concert (even if it's just Norwegian Wood).

Let's get something on the calendar to hang out! Hey, after a glass of wine, I might even get out the guitar and play some Cat Stevens. (I think I know two songs).

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun, Amy! We look forward to when you might want to play with a family audience! Good for you for taking advantage of this right in the midst of your neighborhood. I bet we could talk Dad in to doing a duet with you! He'll sing and you can play!!

Anonymous said...

Well, good for you!! I tried taking guitar lessons (private) years ago. I thought it was worth the money to do them privately so no one else had to hear me play!! Needless to say, I'm not sure what ever happened to that guitar. Hmmmm...
I feel pretty confident that your career will go farther than mine!!
Love you,
Becky

Anonymous said...

I love this instrument! One of my favorite groups has a mandolin player in it. Love it!!! I think this is something that many people don't know about. It is such a cool design, and sounds great!! I know how much you've been looking for a hobby and I think you have found a great one. I hope you enjoy it. I know you will be great! You are great at anything you put your mind to. Love the picture! You ADD style to the mandolin and have definitely shattered the stereotype about mandolin players. Enjoy it and can't wait to hear something.