09 January 2008

Advice to a Big Sister

We spent a wonderful Christmas in New Hampshire and Connecticut feasting and celebrating with family and friends. One highlight was meeting our new nephew, Ian, and lest anyone forget, he has a big sister... Charlotte. Believe me, she is far from forgetting it. And so, my dear Charlotte, this is for you as you embark on big sisterhood.


To Charlotte, The Big Sister:

Charlotte, I too am a big sister. My brother is just 2 years younger than me, just like Ian is 2 years younger than you. So, I thought I’d share some words of wisdom, advice and tricks of the trade. It’s great being a big sister. You’ll experience a lot of things first (except for exclusively boy things, but I don’t think it’s our loss) and so Ian will be looking to you to pave the way. It’s great when little brothers are still little, because they’ll do just about anything you say. So feel free to ask him to help you clean up your toys, get you a glass of milk, change Darla’s diaper… you name it, he’ll probably do it. (But remember, he’s your little brother so you should always be nice!) When it comes to playing together, play his games too. Forts, cops and robbers, Legos, baseball in the back yard, and building tree houses are all great games that boys like to play. Of course, many girls like to play these games too, and if anyone tells you that they are boy games only, don’t believe them! It’s important for girls to know how to play these games and they are fun! And later on, boys will appreciate that you know how to play baseball. Plus, since little brothers will do just about anything you say, and since girls are so practical (boys can be too, of course), you can always make sure that your fort has a kitchen and a bed for Darla.

Now, I must warn you that there will come a time when little brothers will all of a sudden stop doing what you say. This usually happens around age 12 or 13. Believe me, it’s not fun and a complete blow to your ego. They will start saying things like: “You can’t tell me what to do!” and “You’re not my mom!” Unfortunately, this is all true and they are just now realizing it. As much as you may resent the fact that the tables have turned, and the little brother who once always looked to please you now seems to be looking for every opportunity to displease you, you must allow him his space and not get too upset. Try not to take it personally. And be honest, there were probably very few times you were willing to take orders from him, so shouldn't he be allowed the same independence you always had? I know, this is difficult to swallow and it took me a long time to get over it. But there are great rewards! Eventually, he will come to realize that you always had good advice and he will once again look to you for wisdom. (Be warned: this could take awhile… about 10 years in my case.) But just hang in there and remember that boys, on average, tend to mature slower than girls (of course there are exceptions). While this can be frustrating, and you’re wondering what in the world could be taking so long, remember that they were specially designed, just like you, and there is truly a reason for this (really, there is). And no matter how it may seem, he still loves you even if he won’t play Barbies anymore.

There are so many other things you will learn about being a big sister and having a little brother. But above all, remember that you will have a lifelong friend, someone to look after you and someone to look after, someone with whom to play, talk, fight and make up. Ian is a great gift to you, and you to him. So have fun and rejoice in the special role you have as The Big Sister!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...great! Thanks so much Aim. Yeah, I was the one who played "kitchen" in the fort with my sister, and had a complex when, finally at 13, I realized I needed to start making my own decisions. Oh well, I think I turned out alright, even if boys do "tend to mature slower than girls". In all seriousness, you are right, as you most often are! An awesome sister who is always there to talk to... Love ya - Dave

Anonymous said...

Amy,

Beautiful. I am teary in my office. (if course playing it off as allergies when my coworker just stopped in...typical boy move) Seriously, we are truly blessed to have you as part of our family. I hope and pray Charlotte and Ian have as good a relationship as you and Dave do. Hey, and Dave at some point (be it perhaps a few years later) it probably was helpful knowing how to work a stove. How wonderful is it that Ian and Charlotte have you and Dave to look up to, and get such loving advice from.

Love You,

Gordon

Sarah said...

You are such a great big sister, Amy! Thanks for sharing your words of wisdom and encouragement. Little brothers need big sisters like you and Charlotte!

Anonymous said...

Well Gordon, I am teary like you. As a Mom, one of the greatest pleasures I have had is seeing the relationship between this older daughter, Amy, and her brother Dave, grow and flourish. It always gives me the warmest feeling in my heart. Charlotte and Ian have wonderful years ahead of them. Thank you Amy for sharing such a special part of you with dear sweet Charlotte.

Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

Well, I guess it is my turn to admit that we are a family of criers. I am completely floored by this post. What a wonderful gift you have given to this little two-year-old. Not only is it a special part of who you are that you can share with my little girl, it is a wonderful tribute to the relationship that you and Dave have. You amaze me with your advice and just in the person that you are. I can only hope, as Gordon said, that Ian and Charlotte have as great a relationship that you guys have. I need to save this post for Charlotte, I know she will treasure it as much, if not more than I do. Just as we treasure you in our lives. Now maybe Gordon and I can get some advice from your parents.
Love you Amy,
Karen

Anonymous said...

All this talk about a good big sister...as touching as it may be, Let's not forget Amy makes for a great wife too. You know what they say, "behind every great man is an even better woman".

Anonymous said...

Amy, this is such a beautiful description of the love between two siblings. It's doesn't just have to be big sister/little brother, it can also be between big sister/little sister like your mom and me! We are close in age (just for those of you don't know, Shirley is the oldest!!! And she liked to let people know that we were younger....!!) We played together, fought together, got in trouble together!! and at times we were even able to share the use of 1966 Ford Falcon your grandfather bought us!! However, I don't think I really understood just how much I love your mom until we grew up and moved apart.
I am very thankful for her and most grateful to both your mom and dad for bringing you and Dave into this world. Always be happy...and remember, I love you!
Becky (I love you too, Andrew!)

Anonymous said...

Amy,
I should have sent this days ago when I first saw it but I was too choked up to have a clear thought. Its true between sisters also and such a gift to always have someone to talk to. Charlotte will love your wisdom when she gets old enough to appreciate it. Love having you in the family.

Shirley Anne

Anonymous said...

WOW ! I read this AGAIN and once again am crying like a fool at my computer. Having two younger sisters and watching my own daughters -- my sentiments completely. All I can say is what a great tribute to and from all of you.
Love to all,
Kathy (Mamma G)