29 July 2008

Alternate Routes | Big Sky Country

Montana. I want to go. I think there's some kind of irony in the fact that when you're young and relatively free of responsibilities, you're also relatively free of cash. These are the times when I'd like to pick up and go, and lately, I've had a hankering to hightail it out to Montana. There's something about the open air, beautiful wildlife, rustic cabins, big skies and big mountains that's calling me. I want to rent a little cabin for the week, hike by day and campfire by night. I want to go on a pack trip, where it's me and my horse and the path ahead. I want to breathe the mountain air, feel the sun on my back and head out into the unknown.

All this to say, I certainly don't feel starved for adventure or beauty (albeit of a different kind) in Chicago. Chicago is absolutely wonderful in the summer, and in some ways, I'm happy to stay put for these few precious months. But I can't help but feel drawn to a new place in which I can get lost between blades of grass and mountain paths.


In this "Alternate Routes" series, I hope to explore new places, destinations, things to do and things to see. Some may simply remain on a Wish List until I retire or win the lottery, while I imagine others will be readily available and attainable. Through it all, I hope to
diverge from the main paths ahead and breathe new life along the way.

3 comments:

Karen said...

I hear ya! There is something about those wide open spaces that calls to the soul. When Gordon and I went cross country, I couldn't get enough of the beautiful landscapes. Montana was only a mere drive through for us. Although Yellowstone Park, in which we saw so many cool things, is not that far away!
This country has quite a bit to offer, even in its young age when compared to other countries.
Alternate Routes...can be the best routes!

MeganBritt said...

Fantastic idea! Looking forward to where the routes take you!

Sarah said...

I love this new series. Take me to Montana with you. The boys can wrangle in the cattle and we can ride our horsies into the wide open and chit chat our vacation days away.