08 August 2008

Porch Dwellers

We have expanded the list of inhabitants on our porch this summer. Andrew's new job has inspired him to invest in our own "landscaping" and the payoff has been great. One hibiscus, one hydrangea, two flower boxes and one tomato cage later, our back porch has turned into a virtual garden jungle (indeed, we seem to have adopted a more "natural/wild" look than anything coiffed or controlled). I spend many an evening prying Andrew away as he tends to and cares for our new charges. Here's the roll call:

Hibiscus: Affectionately known as "Hibby", this plant is on her second or third life. We purchased her in early spring and kept her inside until it finally became warm enough to move her to the porch. We think she underwent a bit of a shock in acclimating to the outdoors, and didn't bloom for several weeks in protest. But then we reaped our reward and she has been averaging about five blooms a day. Right now, she is recovering from either being root-bound or possibly some kind of disease in which she lost most of her leaves. Slowly but surely, more new growth is emerging every day.


Tomato: We have some Jetstars and a hybrid variety which look promising until they start to ripen. We think they have some type of bloom rot and Andrew has been adding garden lime in an effort to combat the problem. Successfulness TBD.


Hydrangea: Ah, the beloved hydrangea. Always a hit, ever beautiful. These came home with Andrew from work and have been a joy since.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh I just live and breathe for hydrangeas. They never disappoint. Your back porch is an oasis in our concrete desert.

Anonymous said...

I hope I found you!? I often wonder about the friends I made during my short stint at North Park. Turns out, joining facebook and doing a couple of Google searches leads to some incredible blasts from the past and a lot of interesting tidbits of information too. :)
Hope this is my one-semester roomie who treated me so kindly, so I can say hello and what's new...if not, oops! Pardon me! :)

Have a great weekend.
~Jillian

P.s. The hydrangeas are beautiful!

Amy and Andrew said...

Jill! Hi! Yes, you have the right person. You have crossed my mind many times since North Park and I have often wondered how you are. Thanks so much for finding me! Hmmm... what's the best way to exchange info since I'm not on Facebook (gasp!)?

Anonymous said...

Oh good! Once I dug around here for awhile and found pics of Ilona's wedding, I knew I had the right girl.
Look at all of you, being all married and stuff! :) And you stuck around Chicago huh? Whereabouts?
My email is wendyjbl@hotmail.com (how funny is that! My north park girls actually helped me come up with that user ID, remember?)
I'm also on myspace: reizbar.
I drive all over IL for my job, so it would be very easy to hook up for lunch, dinner, coffee or drinks sometime...
Email me and tell me more of what seems to be a good life!
So glad to have found you,
~Jillian

Anonymous said...

Everything looks great--good for you. Hope you don't have any squirrels -- they are stealing all my tomatoes (red AND green) on my deck; now even eating through the fruit netting; never had this problem other years. Enjoy. Love reading your posts.

Sarah Daigle said...

You always have a way of making things your own so I should not be surprised that you have done so with a back porch as well. When the patio is in maybe we will fly you out for some landscaping. Now if only our hydrangas would bloom...any tips?

Karen said...

I love hydrangeas too, as do most. But hibiscus always make me think of somewhere tropical...ahhh!

Anonymous said...

Oh it does my heart good to see you having such a connection with your new "charges"! Beautiful pictures of a successful landscape. Here's hoping the lime does the trick on those green tomatoes! Ever tried frying green tomatoes?? Love to you both!