08 January 2009

2009

At some point along my haphazard journey to discover a hobby, I committed to paper. Not scrapbooking, just paper. Letterpress. Stationary. Gift wrap. The Perfect Greeting Card. Decorative paper with whimsical designs. And while I don't think I ever truly embraced the full-fledged art of Paper (I finally admitted that I really just liked to buy it and appreciate it, as opposed to actually ever doing anything with it), there are some things I picked up along the way that I just can't shake. Take greetings cards for instance: If you get a greeting card from me, you can be assured that it will be hand selected and not from Jewel (and if I'm feeling really inspired, I might just make it). Or gift wrap: try a paisley print or Paper Source's Colonial Indian Chinz pattern. Fonts? Texas Hero is still my favorite. And so, as you can probably imagine, the Paper Source has become a treasured merchant in my quest for creativity. When I go there, whatever little dormant dusts of inspiration I have are resurrected and I feel the sense of possibility once again. Last year, I discovered their exclusive Date Books and for the first time in my life, I felt satisfied with my chosen method of organization. Great design, eco-friendly and fantastic colors. What more could a paper girl want?

Well, I'll tell you what she wants: less planning. If there's anything I'd like to change about myself for 2009, it would be that if I ever needed to, I could throw that planner out the window (at this point, I don't ever see that happening, but it's only January 7th). I'd like to be less scheduled, more flexible and more generous with my time. While I realize that this is easy for some, I'm confronting the fact that it is very, very difficult for me. I protect my time to the point of selfishness and somewhere between Monday and Sunday I have forgotten on whom I should be spending it. And so, in a symbolic gesture, this year I bought the Mini Date Book (in persimmon red). May it be a reminder to me to not covet those blank pages, but to give of them freely. A reminder to plan less and live more.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

You seriously crack me up! The way you write about your hobby quest is intriguing. I will say that every time I've gotten a card from you it has been a delight! Your intentionality is gratefully observed. So does generosity with your time/schedule include us hanging out all the time? I hope so. :)

Marta said...

I support your commitment to paper, Amy. I think paper can even just be a good reminder (through books, journals, cards,etc.) that we still live in a tangible world.

I'd love to see your greeting cards sometime! I'm a card maker, too.


Enjoy your

Marta said...

(I meant to finish that thought...)

new mini date book!

Anonymous said...

Oh you make this paper girl so happy! Have you seen fontface.com? I think you'll love it.

Anonymous said...

Amy, good for you and your 2009 goals. It is a tough thing to do and I feel your frustration. Mostly because I am exactly the same way! The apple doesn't fall far from the tree!
And....I save all my cards from you because I know what you put into them, lots of love and careful consideration for making it just the right card. I love you to pieces!!!!

Gwen said...

okay this comment is way late but have you seen the movie helvetica? it is a documentary about the font by that name. you'd like it. i found it on netflix. and what would we do without paper source? seriously.