18 January 2009

Move It or Lose It, Buddy

I really don't want to use this blog as a platform to complain, but I can't help myself on this one. I've been considering a lot lately what it means to live as a community, and I'll tell you what doesn't fit: saving parking spots with chairs/sawhorses/crates/coke cans/buckets/cones... whatever. Not cool. I do not understand how shoveling out a spot justifies the sense that now, this piece of city-owned pavement is mine. I would much rather approach snow removal as a neighborhood endeavor, a common goal, the idea being that this is our city block, together. And together, we will work to get the snow out and our cars in. If everyone would shovel out their spot (and help those who cannot), then wouldn't our block be cleared and we could all park? I know that some people don't shovel. But since when is it ok to abstain from doing the right thing just because that's what everyone else is doing? Didn't we learn that lesson in kindergarten? In any case, if anyone has some good suggestions for how to transform this individual act into one of common care and concern, please, fire away. And for those of you who don't live in Chicago and don't know what I'm talking about, here you go:





Addendum: I would be remiss not to mention the upside. Not everyone abides by the spot saving strategies of the supremely annoying. Sometimes a good car-trapping snowstorm can bring out the best in people. Andrew has become Super Shoveler (with a cape and everything) and is always ready to rescue a lad or lass in tire-spinning distress. And I know he's not the only one. Perhaps therein lies the solution: model the change we wish to see.

4 comments:

Ann-Marie said...

Hi, there - I found you via Sarah's blog. :)

I completely agree with you. And I have a story that goes perfectly with this post:

My husband and our landlord spent a good hour one afternoon shoveling and snow-blowing out the spots of cars belonging to those in our building (four units). One morning, I noticed that another neighbor, who had been lucky enough to get one of those plowed spots, had put their own "space savers" in it upon departing. They hadn't even plowed or shoveled the spot! I couldn't believe it.

Sarah said...

This is one of the worst atrocities "neighbors" can do to each other here. I hate it with every bone in my body and think it is ridiculous beyond measure. Andrew has always been such a good model of service and help for people.

Karen said...

WHAT?? I can't believe these pictures are real. An ironing board, really? Come on people! Wow!
I think you are right. Model what you want or wish for yourself and your community. You guys know what to do.

Karen said...

P.S. Complain away. Outlets are good. :) I think that this needed to be vented out.