30 January 2009

Super Snacks

If you know Andrew and me, you know we are not sports fans. While I try to know enough to at least be conversant, I rarely follow a team (or a sport for that matter) much beyond the latest headlines and controversies. This indeed has its benefits. We watch less TV and our emotional well-being is never tied to a scoreboard. The downsides? Well, for starters, Andrew has earned the nickname "Sporty" and he recently confessed to me that he'd be interested in having a Cubs hat but is afraid that it might invite conversation about baseball. For Andrew, that's pretty much social suicide. I, however, being a woman, pretty much get off the hook. Fair or not, it's true.

In any case, what we can contribute to the wide world of sports is food. It has been an unofficial (and not quite consistent) tradition that Andrew makes guacamole for Super Bowl Sunday. I've been a faithful fan of his combination of avocados, cilantro, tomato, garlic, lime, jalapeno and onion (?) for quite some time. The only thing that has been left to modification over the years has been the quantity. One year we ended up with not just a bowl of guacamole, but a 9x13 pan of it!

Enjoy your traditions this weekend. And if anyone knows how to deflect questions about baseball stats and subtly turn to exchanging tips about sports snacks, let us know. Or if you've seen a cap with an avocado on it...

4 comments:

Karen said...

Yum! I'm coming to your party...

Sarah said...

You guys do make a mean guacamole. One of my favorite Super Bowl memories is when Andrew showed up with a VERY tight Bears t-shirt on. Not what I was expecting. :)

Amy and Andrew said...

Ha! That WAS a good one!

MeganBritt said...

Mmmm.... guacamole.... Maybe we should trade basic sports knowledge for food...