18 February 2007

Remember college?

When anything was possible? When you thought you could save the world by registering to vote? When a career wasn't about making money, but about forsaking all material desires in the name of unadulterated altruism? Well here I am again, and I can't say I'm thrilled about it. Rest assured, I've learned some things in my mere 4 years out of school. I'm not hopelessly idealistic (sigh of relief), but I keep stumbling across that old familiar feeling of what if? What if I conjured up all those academic passions? And then, what if I actually acted on them? Yikes. Post-wedding and post-moving have left me with a schedule I can't remember having since... well, I can't remember (hence the birth of this blog). And so I'm left with lots of time to think. Dangerous, I know. I think it's time to move on, to embrace some of those old college aspirations, or at least the energy they embodied. What else am I waiting for? I think it's time to give it the ol' college try.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Well put, my dear. You've got a good head on your shoulders.

Lukas McKnight said...

Good crap.

Tom Morello of Rage brings up a good point in how quickly we become slaves to the system, and I'm sure that sounds idealistic; however, it gets a lot easier every year to fall in line than it does to stand up and actually do something. I hope we'd be stronger, but I know I'm often not.

Tads said...

Very insightful I might add... my good friend... Amy what rock have you been hiding under these days? Are you scared to come out and enjoy the pleasures of this dark world? Great beard of Zeus! (Watch Anchorman) It is good to see you have decided to join the blogger community.
Your long lost friend,
Paul Taddeo

Alli said...

Hey Amy! I found your blog through Sarah's..hope that's ok. What are you going to school for?

The Process said...

Love that you have a blog! I totally feel you on the old ideals . . they seemed so fresh and exciting and now . . well I don't even know if I'm going to vote on Tuesday or what I want to be when I grow up (keep in mind this isn't a good sign coming from someone who was a Career Counselor for 4 years). Can't wait to hear more of your thoughts, keep the entries coming!
NBS

Anonymous said...

Amy,
You make us proud whatever you do. But while you try and figure this out, we'll continue to pray for God's help and discernment.
Love you,
Mom