21 February 2007

Rand Rave Review

So far, there are few authors I have read that have floored me by their depth and complexity (yes, perhaps I need to read more... point taken). One would be Dostoevsky, another is Ayn Rand. Her writing is the kind that catches you off guard, leaves you evaluating your own ideals and wondering how the heck people can come up with this stuff. I envy the talent. After 450 pages of The Fountainhead (out of only 700), her characters still perplex me and her ideas remain to be reconciled. I will not attempt to summarize the plot nor describe its characters, but here is one example in which I find myself overwhelmed with new thoughts (the context of the conversation is not really necessary):

"Most people go to very great lengths in order to convince themselves of their self-respect."
"Yes."
"And, of course, a quest for self-respect is proof of its lack."
"Yes."
"Do you see the meaning of a quest for self-contempt?"
"That I lack it?"
"And that you'll never achieve it."

WHAT?! I can't say that I spend much time trying to convince myself of my self-respect. But would I know it if I did? And would I have the courage to admit it? Will I ever be so sure of my self-respect that I'd be so daring as to seek self-contempt just to prove I could never achieve it?

Dominique Francon of The Fountainhead is that sure and that daring. And let me tell you, it makes for a riveting story.

3 comments:

Lukas McKnight said...

700 pages sounds daunting; even as a book lover, I tend to avoid novels of length, but I will check it out at Borders some time.

You bring up a good point, and one I've thought about for a while. I think the true masters of dialogue create a scene that says so much with few words. It's hard to explain, and even harder to do, but you've hit upon an instance where that happens.

Sarah said...

Reading a 700 page is a feat of superior strength and endurance. I (myself) can't say as I have ever accomplished such academic heroics. You must keep us updated on your progress and on your thoughts regAAARding Ayn Rand's philosophies. She is a wit to be reckoned with, much like you Mrs. Daigle.

Anonymous said...

nice blog Daigles!

jed