28 March 2007

Vusi Mahlasela

Last night we went to the Chicago Cultural Center for an incredible concert by South African vocalist Vusi Mahlasela. According to the synopsis on the Chicago Cultural Center website, "In his home country of South Africa, Vusi Mahlasela is fondly known as "The Voice." Apart from his remarkable songwriting talent, Mahlasela is blessed with one of the most remarkable voices in contemporary popular music. His debut album, When You Come Back, a tribute to the political exiles of South Africa, catapulted him to instant fame and is considered a South African classic. [...] As an accomplished guitarist, percussionist, composer, arranger, bandleader and performer, Mahlasela is now enjoying an ever-growing popularity from his recent appearances as part of the Acoustic Africa tour and album on Putumayo. He has performed at the celebrated Bonnoroo music festival with much acclaim and has toured the US with the Derek Trucks Band. Mahlasela appeared in the award winning South African anti-apartheid struggle documentary, Amandla!, the celebrated film about the importance of music and song during the struggle. One of his most ardent supporters is Dave Matthews, who is a native of South Africa and has long aimed to make Mahlasela’s music known in the U.S. When Matthews founded ATO Records, one of his first goals was to sign Mahlasela to the label. Together, they released the compilation album The Voice. Matthews also invited Mahlasela to contribute vocals on the title track of the Matthews' multi-platinum album Everyday. Mahlasela’s highly anticipated new album Guiding Star features guest performances from Dave Matthews, Jem, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Derek Trucks and many more.”

Now for my own words, if I can find some. While many people close to me have been to South Africa, I felt privileged to have a little piece of South Africa come to me last night. The concert presented a deafening message in the most quiet and graceful of ways. It was powerful, yet humble. In a mere hour and 20 minutes, Vusi evoked within me many of those things we associate with the South African experience: strength, struggle, forgiveness, injustice, humanity, reconciliation, a lust for unity... the list goes on. And I keep reminding myself that it is my privilege as a white person and as an American to be able to attend events such as these and ponder at my leisure abstract concepts which have been nothing but concrete realities for so many. I'm not saying it's bad or that I should feel guilty, only that I must be conscious of the perspective from which I view the world. I am grateful for events such as these.

For more information on Vusi, check out the Vusi Mahlasela website. And get to the Chicago Cultural Center once in a while. They have great events and all for free.

No comments: