14 November 2007

I Pledge Allegiance

On Sunday, Andrew and I became members at our church. This is noteworthy only because it’s the first time we have committed to a church since we've lived in Chicago, and if you include our years at North Park, those years start to add up. Membership wasn't necessarily a difficult choice for us once we decided it was time. Granted, we have spent the last 6 months seriously considering this place in which we will serve, all the while trying to achieve a balanced understanding of when a church is about our “criteria” and when it’s about so much more. We knew we were ready to commit to a community, pledge to serve and really live life with a body of people. This, in essence, is what membership is all about. But it has been interesting to observe that “membership”, in all its traditional and historical clothing, no longer attracts the loyalties it once did. Perhaps I am wrong, but I know that at least in the Covenant denomination, it’s been hard to recruit members in these recent years, especially those my age. I believe it to be considered somewhat of an inconvenience in our postmodern world. Membership has always implied commitment, permanence, loyalty. And there are many things out there these days that try and warn us against these “unnecessary hindrances”. Why commit when you can be free to do as you please? Permanence? Heck, you can get tattoos removed these days. Loyalty? Well, what if we just don't agree anymore? This is the atmosphere in which the church is trying to foster some sense of "I'm here. I said I would be. You can count on me." I am in no way immune from such hesitations, hence my many years of abstaining from membership.

However, none of these postmodern mantras make membership obsolete. The fact is the church needs members (from a legal, financial, visional and missional perspective) and I believe congregants want and need the empowerment that comes from commitment.
Our church explained that they viewed membership as "a commitment for a season", an explanation laced with grace and understanding that life happens, things change, and that God may call us elsewhere. And that that's ok. It is my hope that churches will continue to create atmospheres that encourage commitment by recognizing what we're all up against. We're in an age of ruthless competition for our time, energy and resources, and instead of feeling pressured to shrug off anything that might "limit" us, we need to be empowered and encouraged to pledge some allegiances. Life will happen. Things will change. Our commitments will evolve. And I believe that the church, of all places, should have the grace and understanding to inspire, support and strengthen us along the way.

No comments: