28 May 2008

Old MacDonald...

...had a farm. And we went to see it. As I've mentioned before, our church is participating in a Community Supported Agriculture program, in which we partner with a local farm to support (and benefit from) their efforts at sustainable farming. This past weekend we had the opportunity to meet and visit with the people who will be growing and raising our food. Mike, of Mike and Clare's Farm, introduced us to the vegetables, and Jody and Beth, of Cedar Valley Sustainable Farm, acquainted us with the livestock. As we will be receiving our first box of veggies this coming Sunday, it was an opportune time to get the dish on all the farm happenings. It's amazing how seeing the way my food is grown has impacted my perspective on how and what I eat. I am not so sympathetic that I will abstain from eating the little chickies I had the pleasure of meeting, but it does make me feel good to know that they are being treated humanely and raised healthfully, and not just for their benefit, but for mine as well.

One of the things that impressed me the most was Jody and Beth's attitude toward partnering with other farms. When asked if they hoped to be completely sustainable at some point in the future, meaning that they would be completely self-sufficient, they answered no. Their desire, they explained, was to educate and work with other farmers to achieve greater advances in sustainable farming together. They can't (and would rather not) do it alone, and by sharing knowledge and resources, they (and others) will be able to expand their operations. Everyone wins. I appreciate this perspective, and, for me, it highlights the difference between sustainability and a monopolizing self-sufficiency.

Here are
some pictures of the farm. We'll keep you posted as we dive into the world of kale, cows and cabbage!




1 comment:

Sarah said...

Ah! I wish we hadn't been gone over the weekend and missed the field trip! Can't wait to get some meat and veggies from the farm.