14 July 2008

Quatorze Juillet

Daigle is French... I think... (right, guys?), so I thought I'd be remiss if I failed to give homage to Bastille Day in light of my new heritage-by-marriage. As I'm sure we all remember from our history lessons, Bastille Day commemorates the storming of the Bastille, a prison that was symbolic of the absolute power of Louis XVI's regime. The storming of the Bastille was to the French what signing the Declaration of Independence was to the Americans: a cry of Revolution.

Prise de la Bastille, by Jean-Pierre-Louis-Laurent Houel


I found this picture here and, well, what can I say? I thought it was cool... and curiously disturbing. As gruesome as it may be, it reflects the reality that revolutions are an expensive business indeed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is French...more French from Maine than French from Paris...CC and Ginger anyone?

Gordon