13 July 2008

Voila!

If you've been in our kitchen, then you know that counter space is at a premium. Given the situation, we've done pretty well (Thanksgiving has presented the most need for innovation in prepping, storing and serving space). Shortly after we moved in, Andrew developed plans for building a concrete counter-top table that would serve to almost double our counter space. After undergoing a position change at the Field Museum, a job change to Topiarius, a search for a work shop and a search for material funds, I'm proud to say that he has finished the table.


I am consistently impressed with anyone who can transform unfinished wooden boards into things as aesthetic and practical as beautiful tables, chairs, bookcases, frames... you name it. Regardless of the amount of time, space and money Andrew's endeavors may (or may not) take, I must always remember and be grateful for the fact that his hobbies tend to benefit the both of us (which is more than I can say for my dabbling in horse betting).



6 comments:

Kendra Wheeler said...

It's beautiful! Nice work Andrew!

Sarah said...

I miss my concrete seat. I'm glad that you have some extra counter space though...:)

Karen said...

Wow! This table is cool! I knew Andrew had some talent, but this is really beautiful!! I love it! The top is so nice; it all looks professionally done! I wish I could see the whole kitchen in person.

Sarah Daigle said...

It looks great! I hope when I was asking about it on our trip that I didn't put extra pressure on you to finish, sorry if I did. We are also realizing that the summer is a nice time to work on that "to do" list. Now about that patio...

Anonymous said...

Andrew me boy!!!

Nicely done!! I assume mortise and tenon... really well done!! The contrast of the concrete color and the stain on the oak?? looks terrific...

Looks like some thing I would do!!! (he,he)

Unknown said...

Great job, Andrew!! Congrats on such professional results!! Know you both will enjoy it!!

Love you,
Becky