07 November 2008

An Exhortation

I would assume that regardless of who you voted for, it is hard not to bask in the historical significance of Tuesday's election. It is good and right and necessary to acknowledge and celebrate what this means for us, as a country and as individuals. I feel that we have somewhat redeemed ourselves in eyes of the world, but more importantly, we can once again believe in our collective conscience. Our country needed this. Our history needed this. Our souls needed this.

I would also assume that it is not enough to just have a black president, but rather, we need a successful black president. And I believe Obama earned this, winning not because (or in spite of the fact) he is black, but because people believe in his vision, leadership and character. I am proud and relieved to know that we, as a nation, were able to rise to the occasion and make history.


I am certain, however, despite the proclamations of the media, that this does not mean that America has been born anew, cleansed from its legacy of racism. We have indeed dawned a new day, but we cannot forget the dark yesterdays and the ugly tomorrows to come. Because they will come. The two pronged attack of racism, the individual coupled with the systemic, is fierce, and even with an African-American in the White House, you can bet that racism will continue to plague our neighborhoods, our work places, our schools and even our homes. We must not rest, believing that the history and present reality of injustice has been rendered obsolete by an electoral map. There is still work to be done.

But for now, I am more than happy to raise a glass to Obama, to celebrate this moment and to look with promise to the future. I know that my hopes cannot be pinned to any president, this one or the next, but it sure helps to have one who stirs my soul.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Amen to that, sister! He does stir the soul. One of the things I've been noticing this week, since the election, are the feelings of patriotism, admiration, and respect I have for a leader. I don't think that is something that I've truly felt before when I think about it.

Karen said...

There is something about a leader who atleast seems to have a clear vision for our country.
There is also something about voting. Choosing our leader. Very American. Very patriotic. Somehow bringing our country together.
Not only can hardships do that, but I think things like a historic election can do that too.